Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dare to Say It Out Loud

An Interview with, Well, Me!

I follow a number of very inspiring blogs. They provide a network of amazing people doing amazing things! They also give me great food for thought on what I’d like to put onto my own blog.

Yesterday, over at Wish Studio, Mindy encouraged her readers to do an interview (THAT CARMEN TORBUS wrote!!! it took me a while to get back here and fix that!!!) of themselves. She has been asked to be interviewed herself and says, “The questions are hard to answer, but once out there for all to see, it’s amazingly liberating.”

So in the spirit of sharing what inspires me, and in taking the risk, putting myself out there, and in the spirit of Liberation… here goes!

*******
1. You’ve got some amazing things happening and I can’t wait to hear more about it! Can you tell us a little about yourself and the inspiration behind what you do?

I always seem to have many things happening in my life at any given moment! Here are the big ones right now:

I teach tribal style belly dance classes and am part of a performing troupe. I have a little studio on Main Street in a small town in the Sierra Nevada foothills in northern California. My hope is that this studio offers a place for women to take risks, to become bold, to have fun, and meet other women in search of adventure in their lives. As part of my on-going love of learning, I will be fulfilling a long held dream this summer, participating in a 3-day improvisational tribal style belly dance intensive. It is a style of dance that has always spoken to me. One based on cues and body language and nonverbal communication. Learning to dance within a set vocabulary of dance moves that let women come together, no matter what country they come from nor what language they speak, and dance together in perfect harmony. I am so excited to begin this journey, to eventually share this style of dance with others.

I am also planning my first ever as of yet unnamed soul retreat for my as of yet undiscovered soul tribe of sisters. It will take place early next year, on the coast in winter. It promises to be a chance for connection, art, spiritual exploration, lots of tea, and cozy fires.

I am also finally, after more than 40 years on this planet, embracing my inner ARTist and giving her a voice, a chance for expression, at last! Each day, no matter how small the amount of time, I create something. The medium is not important, it can be with my son’s chalk and a picture on the sidewalk. But giving myself this permission to create has been the best gift ever. It makes me happier, I feel better about myself, I see *ART* wherever I go, everything inspires me now! And my family sees the change as well. They like this new me too.

2. We’re dying to know, what inspires you more than anything else in the whole world?

So to choose one big something… Well, it seems odd, but right now it’s anything with stripes! Drawing them, coloring them, wearing striped socks and tights, seeking out striped shirts…there is something so fun and whimsical about stripes. I adore Dr. Seuss at the moment!

3. What is your big dream? Yes, the BIG one! The really, super big, pee your pants when make it happen dream. The one you feel a wee bit nervous saying out loud. Yep, that one!

The scary one to admit out loud? My BIG DREAM is to lead other women on journeys to sacred places on Earth, to create ART and magic at those places, to connect in a very deep, shamanic, celestial and fun way. It’s so hard not to downplay that dream, to dismiss it in some way as *new-agey* or *airy-fairy* and to worry about what others will think as I share it openly. But that’s truly it!

4. Tell us how you’re going to feel when you make it happen!

Connected. Connected to other women, to Earth herself, to the *hard to name thing* that is Spirit, God, the Universe, One with All. I will feel inspirited! And alive!

5. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail and fear didn’t exist?

I would quit my day job and start planning those dream retreats that I just wrote about above. Actually, what’s absolutely thrilling, is that JUST NOW, as I typed, I decided they should be called *D*R*E*A*M* Retreats.

6. What’s next for you?

Well, apparently, given the gist of this interview, it’s getting started on those retreats. Here goes!!!

7. What are you working on right now that you could use some support and encouragement on?

I have found that one of the biggest challenges I have ever faced in my life is being a mother. I second-guess myself over and over, that I’m doing enough for my son, that I must certainly lack a nurturing gene, that I’m not short-changing him in some way by having so many other interests that are not related directly to his needs. It is a constant area for growth, and also for daily practice of finding, and applying, compassion for myself.

8. What advice, tips, resources, and overall good-to-know information would you offer someone just starting out with regards to finding passion & inspiration and digging in?

One of the best places I would recommend going to is Mondo Beyondo. This e-course rocked me like no other! You won’t be disappointed. It encourages you to dream big, and all within a supportive network of other dreamers!

I am also part of a group of lovely women, who I met through Mondo Beyondo, and we are all reading/doing/being inspired by The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. Another way I am embracing my inner artist.

9. Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I feel so fortunate, and excited, to be on this path, even though at times I feel like I’m in a holding pattern. I know fabulous life-changing events are brewing. I have taken the first few tentative steps, I have taken some risks, I believe that my life is about to be turned upside down!

10. Where can we find you online and what is the best way to connect with you?

I am online in two places, in the belly dance world at Kundalini Dance, and at my blog, ...a *D*R*E*A*M* in progess! You can also email me at indigomoone@yahoo.com or kundalinidance@yahoo.com.



4 comments:

  1. Tracy, I LOVE this!!! I love your interview with you, and the beauty and power of your dream. Oh, do go for your *D*R*E*A*M retreats! I get shivers of delight just typing those words. And, I soooo relate to your #7. This is absolutely what I struggle with all the time -- *every single word you write there*!!!! I imagine this is a lesson for us both, because your love and care and attentiveness to and for your son and delight in him is sooo very evident to me in just the glimpses I've gotten through your blog and in meeting you. Self-compassion required indeed :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy, great to read your interview too. You really should go with the retreat thing. I had an idea to run one too, so roped in a friend and we held our first in April. We started off small and just began with an afternoon, but we have plans for others - perhaps building up to a whole weekend away somewhere. Our participants really enjoyed it too. You can read about my experiences on my blog. I'm happy to share any tips with you. This is the main post http://all-the-wright-stuff.blogspot.com/2010/04/retreat.html
    but you may also be interested in reading the previous one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you so much for joining in on the interviews! Can't wait to watch you launch your retreats!!!

    xo & belief in you,

    Carmen
    www.carmentorbus.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the kind, encouraging words!
    Jane, always so thrilling to see what we share, love connecting with you in this way!

    ReplyDelete